Basics

Everyone talks about what is healthy behavior and what isn't, but no one seems to agree on just what that means. Here's a brief guideline I found that is pretty simple and straightforward. As far I'm concerned, healthy behavior comes down to making sure we don't cause problems for other people when we're trying to go about living and getting our needs met. Everything else is personality, and individual beliefs. I personally really believe in helping whoever needs help, within my reasonable capacity.Which does include self sacrifice if the need of the other person warrants it. But the help that I give is of my own volition. If someone is demanding my help, I am not so inclined to drop what I'm doing unless it is literally an actual health issue that requires my actual help. Hypochondria doesn't warrant my self-sacrifice, bleeding from the eyes and ears does.
If I have done my best, to my capacity, and they are demanding help as if I didn't even try, that's a red flag to call someone else and get reinforcements. People who demand help with a tone of resentment are often the same ones who would turn their backs if you needed them, and may also see a person who helps them as a threat, or as "high and mighty". The tone of resentment belies their knowledge of their own nature. I help them anyway, because that's what I think is right, regardless of their level of self-centeredness, but I keep a closer eye on my boundaries and my pockets. Safety first.

 

.
.